JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 BMW E61 535i xdrive
Default Multiple warning lights and POOR idle. Misfire cyl 1,2,3 - 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and am having issues with my 2010 e61 535i. It's recently received a new battery (registered), and new plugs and coils all around. Car was running great until I decided to fix the severed tailgate wiring looms . Upon finishing the job, when I start it up, the car now displays the engine, 4x4, and brake malfunction lights on the dash, as well as idles roughly for about 40 seconds before it dies completely. I'm afraid that I've fried some critical module in the car, like my DME. DME codes show misfires on cyl 1, 2, and 3 as well as the "multiple misfires" code.

This is the only example I have found that seems to mirror mine, and the OP's DME was at fault:

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/388...ank-1-Misfire?

I've already visually inspected every fuse in both the trunk and glove compartment fuse boxes and they all look good. I've also pulled the DME and, even though I have the MSD81, checked the MOSFETs that were there anyway but they all check out fine. Any other known point of failure on the MSD81 DME that might take down the whole bank?

Any other theories as to how all of these warning lights and misfires are related? I have a K-DCAN cable and BMWtools, but am a noob at all of it beyond using INPA to register the battery.

Any insight is appreciated, as I now have a car with working tailgate glass, defroster, and improved key fob range that doesn't frickin drive.
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 11-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Drive down the road or turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then right a couple times. AWD always throw a ton of lights like that after a flash or you mess with the battery. Did it go away?

The other part sounds like bad injectors personally.

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#3)
Old

Default 11-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Can't even drive it in this condition... But I have had the 4x4 and brake lights before due to weak battery, and they went away with the battery replacement. The warning lights and misfires could certainly be coincidental and not necessarily related.

Any way to test injector function without pulling them out? and how would I have had a whole bank go out at once without any previous misfires
(#4)
Old

Default 11-09-2018, 10:56 AM

Is it possible to verify that my DME is fully functonal using INPA or anything? like a DME self-check or something?
(#5)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 11-12-2018, 10:10 AM

When you start the car, while parked can you turn the wheel all the way to one side and then the other (lock to lock) a couple times and see if the 4x4 lights go away?

Pull spark plugs 1,2,3 and see if they look wet/black. MSD81 doesn't really fail often so it's highly unlikely (but not impossible).

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD