JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 335i e92 M Sport
Default Issues with new JB4 install - 10-11-2017, 04:54 AM

*edit*- Mods, please feel free to move to the BMS support forum.

Hey guys,

I just installed a new Jb4 on my 2013 E92 335i, and I'm having some issues. The first time I got everything back together and plugged up, I took it down the road on map 0, and every time I got a little bit happy with the gas pedal causing the turbo to spool up, it threw out some codes and went into limp mode. Took it apart and checked all of the sensor connections, and I was able to get it to function as normal on map 0, but it still does the same thing when I'm on map 1 or even map 4- Every time I make a pull and the turbo spools up, it sounds like it dumps all of the boost out and goes into limp mode.

Anybody had an issue like this before? The only other mod that I have is a BMS CAI. I did take the DME to a local shop for the unlocking bench flash so I could run the back end maps, but I wouldn't think that would impact a lot unless they monkeyed around with something that they shouldn't.

I was able to take some logs with the JB4 app, and I've attached those, if it helps. Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-10-11 07_41_10.csv (6.4 KB, 205 views)
File Type: csv 2017-10-10 22_19_29.csv (13.3 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by bullcitybmmer; 10-11-2017 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: wrong forum
(#2)
Old

Car: 08' 335i
Default 10-11-2017, 05:37 AM

You are going VERY lean once you over 4K on both of those runs.

E90 LCI M Sport
(#3)
Old

Default 10-11-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orteeze
You are going VERY lean once you over 4K on both of those runs.
Interesting... thanks for taking a look. Any idea what could be the cause of that? I'm 98% sure the install was correct (because I forgot a sensor the first time and had to re-do it), so could it be a mechanical issue? Injector going bad?

The codes I got all revolved around misfires, either agnostic to a particular cylinder, or calling out 3 & 4.

2EFE
2F01
2EE0
2EEA
(#4)
Old

Default 10-11-2017, 06:31 AM

Also want to mention that I installed new coils & plugs with the JB4. Used OEM coils and the NGK 1-step colder plugs, gapped to BMS's specs. So I'd doubt those are the culprit.

Prior to doing any work I read the codes with MHD and was seeing several shadow codes related to misfires. A screenshot of that is attached. Maybe I just need to replace some sensors?

Last edited by bullcitybmmer; 10-11-2017 at 07:02 AM..
(#5)
Old

Car: 08' 335i
Default 10-11-2017, 09:52 AM

Post in the logs and support section.

Hope it's an easy fix.

E90 LCI M Sport
(#6)
Old

Default 10-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orteeze
Post in the logs and support section.

Hope it's an easy fix.
Done- And thanks for the kind words.
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Something is wrong with it but I can't tell what from the data provided.

If anything else in OBDII port or on CANbus?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 10-11-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Something is wrong with it but I can't tell what from the data provided.

If anything else in OBDII port or on CANbus?
Not when these logs were taken. I have used MHD before to read codes and do some logging (no flashing), but not since the JB4 was installed. Like I mentioned above, I did take the DME to a local shop to get it unlocked, and hadn't cranked it since I got it back without the JB4, so I'm a little worried that something might have gotten tweaked in there. That's speculation over my pay grade though.
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-11-2017, 11:12 AM

On map4 the car should be running the stock tuning. Record a log on map4.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Default 10-11-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
On map4 the car should be running the stock tuning. Record a log on map4.
Done, and attached. It runs reasonably well in map 4.

Also, just for fun I put it down in map 1 and made a WOT pull, and it immediately went back into limp mode. I've attached that log as well for reference if you're curious.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-10-11 14_28_02-Map 4.csv (88.0 KB, 212 views)
File Type: csv 2017-10-11 14_30_12-Map 1.csv (10.1 KB, 184 views)
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 10-11-2017, 06:26 PM

First, try not to hit the kickdown when logging.

Second, DME boost target is dropping to to zero, that is why you are running lean. RPMS are also going flat, not really sure what your issue is, something funky going on but the poor logs aren't helping. Try to do a good 3rd gear log from 2k to redline at WOT without hitting the kickdown.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#12)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
First, try not to hit the kickdown when logging.

Second, DME boost target is dropping to to zero, that is why you are running lean. RPMS are also going flat, not really sure what your issue is, something funky going on but the poor logs aren't helping. Try to do a good 3rd gear log from 2k to redline at WOT without hitting the kickdown.
Sorry, I must have missed the SOP on proper data logging, I'll try to do better next time.

Last night after a quick run to the store on map 4 I started getting all sorts of errors and codes about various sensors being shorted out or reading improperly. I cleared it all and switched to map 0 and didn't have a reoccurrence of the issue, so I've removed the Jb4 for now. I don't know if something in my DME just doesn't agree with it or if I have a larger issue with the car, but this is my daily driver so this experience rattled me a little bit. I've got to take it in next week for an oil change, so I'm going to ask my guy to do some diagnostics on some things and try to identify the culprit. I might try again depending on the outcome of that.
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-12-2017, 04:33 PM

See how it runs stock just to verify, then if all is good, re-install and verify all connections are good with no bent pins.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#14)
Old

Default 10-15-2017, 09:52 AM

Hey guys, better news today. Spent some time with my local indy mechanic Friday and I'm not 99% certain that at least one of the new plugs I put in with the JB4 were faulty.

Swapped out the plugs, reinstalled the JB4, and everything is good. I even got the confidence to flash the back end map, and we're still running smoothly with no codes.

I was able to get a couple of data logs in this morning- hopefully they're more useful than the first set. Would you guys mind giving it a quick look and letting me know if anything looks out of whack?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-10-15 11_14_58.csv (9.3 KB, 187 views)
File Type: csv 2017-10-15 11_18_55.csv (9.9 KB, 193 views)
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-15-2017, 03:54 PM

Looks pretty good, timing could be improved upon a bit but otherwise looks like you've got it sorted out.

(#16)
Old

Default 11-06-2017, 02:22 PM

Hey guys, we're about a month in here, and very few issues since the original snafu, other than my charge pipe boot popping off a couple of times because I didn't tighten it enough .

I had a clean road to do a pull and take a log this morning, I wanted to run it past the experts and see if everything still looked within normal tolerances. This was on map 5, about 30% e85. I think I'm still getting a fair amount of timing activity, but if that's normal I'll stop worrying about it.

Thanks again!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-11-06 08_44_45.csv (8.0 KB, 187 views)
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-06-2017, 11:01 PM

Geez...that's not pretty but timing recovers up high. Are you sure that is E30? Have you tried a different station? Your timing should look much better.

(#18)
Old

Default 11-07-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Geez...that's not pretty but timing recovers up high. Are you sure that is E30? Have you tried a different station? Your timing should look much better.
Yep, that's a 30% mixture of e85. There's only one station in my immediate vicinity that sells e85 though, so maybe I'll just chalk this up to a failed experiment.

For kicks and giggles, I clicked over to map 1 this morning on my way into the office and tried to make a quick log. I had to lift early, so I only got up to 6k, but I mainly wanted to see if timing was still over the place. It was not quite as volatile, but there is still a lot of activity. I'm going to fill up with regular ole 93 this afternoon and I'll try to make a proper log in the next day or so to see if it's still doing this.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-11-07 08_44_52.csv (6.6 KB, 203 views)
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-07-2017, 10:56 AM

I'd try a couple more gallons of E85 and a different source for your premium unleaded. Bump your FOL up to 90.